Thursday, November 19, 2015

Service



I love this video! How inspiring is his story? I love it! And how many don't serve a mission with much less on the line if they did?
The first line of this video is so perfect. I want it on my wall! "There will always be something you leave behind when you respond to the prophets call to serve."
That is so true, but what about the blessings you gain and that others around you gain from your example and service?

No matter how you are asked to serve, you almost always have to leave something behind, but you do it anyway.  We all have times when we have to push up our sleeves and get to work. The best and easiest time is when we are serving someone we love.  But what about serving people we don't love?  Or don't even know?  That's not as easy is it?

But, I have good news for us all.  You do know who you are serving, each and every time you serve someone!
Mosiah 2:17 "And behold I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."

I think we've all heard of Him right?  When you serve anyone, you are serving God.  That's an easy way to look at service for me.  Even when it's hard, if I think of it being God that I'm serving then it isn't so hard. In fact, I owe him a few favors... or like everything that I am, I owe to my creator.

I love to hear stories of someone in need and the whole neighborhood jumped in to help! It makes me feel good to know that there are such inspired people in the world that are willing to do good!

Years ago in my first marriage I was really struggling.  I had to live on my knees in prayer just to get through the day.  And I did it all alone.  I was so lonely, I don't know how I survived.  Each day Heavenly Father gave me the strength to put my "Mom hat" on and take care of my children.  I wasn't just an ok Mom, I somehow had the strength to really be there for them and instruct them and teach them.  I planned fun activities for them and held my family together as best as I could, but I was still so alone.

One day a friend of mine came up to me and apologized for not coming to visit me and reach out to me. She said she felt the spirit tell her to reach out to me.  I was really taken back by this.  I had chosen not to tell anyone what was going on in my marriage.  No one knew.  I wanted to try and keep my family together and I knew if I told anyone their advice would be to "get out now", so I chose not to say a word.  It was shocking that she would be prompted to reach out to me.  However, she didn't come when I was really suffering and all alone.  Those days were really dark.  The darkest I've ever known.  I had only Heavenly Father to rely on.

Could I just make a suggestion? When you feel that prompting to reach out to someone... please do!  Things may look great on the outside, but there may be a reason the spirit has asked you to check on someone for reasons that you are unaware of.  Not all needs are publicized.  We all need to pray for inspiration to know when people around us need our help and then be willing to push up our sleeves, not just for our friends and family, but for God.


No comments: