Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Does anyone have a rocket ship we can borrow?

Today while picking Abby and Hayden up from school, I put a movie on for the girls to watch so that I can read my book. That I love by the way. Its called "Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell". Anyway, I knew that Haley, being the tom boy that she is would love "Toy Story". She probably doesn't remember it, but I'm sure she's seen it before. So, I put it on and I told her she'll love it! So, as the movie is going and I'm off to England in the 1800's. I notice strange noises coming from the back of the car. Haley is jumping and wooshing as Buz Lightyear is introduced to the story. I just thought to myself..."She must really like this movie."
A little while later I'm ripped back into the year 2008 with a small little voice whispering in my ear "Mom, I want to go into space. Could I use your rocket ship?" I smiled at her and explained that I don't have one. But, she looked so innocent and cute and she asked with such faith, that I couldn't break it to her that she couldn't go up in space. So, I quickly added "let's ask Abby and Hayden if they made one at school today. Maybe they will let us borrow it." She pressed her face to the window and watched intently for them.

A little while later, Abby and Hayden got in the car. So I said "Hey guys, did either of you make a rocket ship today? Haley wants to go into outer space. " Catching on quickly they both apologized to her saying "Darn it, not today."

For the rest of the ride home she went on and on to Abby about all the things she was going to do on the other planets. And then like the greatest epiphany, she exclaimed "Dad can make me one! Yes, Dad can make me the biggest rocket ship and I'll fly to the other planets."

We waited for Dad to get home and she asked him the same question that has filled her thoughts since about 2:15. But, of course he had no rocket ship for her.

She wasn't depressed, but her family was definitely letting her down. She wanted to call Grandma right then and there and borrow her rocket ship that was back in "Nutah".
We dropped the kids off at Achievement days and scouts, went to go look at the new roof that our house has, went back to pick up the kids and ..... what's this? Is it a dream?.......Big Brother Hayden...... what a guy!!!! He got in the car with non other that a new rocket ship! Of course it was a little small but, he assured her that as soon as he figures it out..... he's gonna make her a big one someday!
The whole night and even throughout family prayer, she had decided to be an astronaut when she grows up! I haven't seen her this excited about anything for a long time!


7 comments:

jksfam said...

What great timing! Jim wants to be an astronaut, too. He's on the list that the AF forwarded to NASA, so we'll see what happens from here...

Chapman Herd said...

So sweet that Hayden Made her a small Rocket Ship! And I LOVE your photoshop abilities!

April Nelson said...

Aren't kids Great. You never know what they are going to be interested in next. Keeps things interesting. You have such a cute loving family. I love your story, I almost cried when she got her rocket ship. You even get to see her as an astronaut. What a great ending.

Robyn said...

What sweethearts you have! Miss you guys!

The Sadlers said...

Dang, she's so cute. You have the coolest family! I love the new pictures on your blog. Including the one of Haley being an astronaut.

Jenks Family said...

You guys are so awesome to play along with her! Our first day of school is Wed the 27th. I always take pictures on the first day, so I'll post them on my blog. You asked for it.

Jamie said...

Don't you love how they get something stuck in their little heads and they are bound and determined to get what they want. Your house is looking good and we are getting exctied to have some new neighbors!!